In keeping with the Halloween spirit, here’s a list of horror RPGs to check out:
- All Flesh Must Be Eaten. An award-winning zombie survival game. Try to keep your brains intact 😉 .
- Call of Cthulhu. The granddaddy of horror RPGs. Based on H.P. Lovecraft’s world. Remember, once your sanity score reaches 0, you no longer have to roll…
- Chill. Designed to have the same feel as horror movies, it’s a very flexible system that can handle many different types of horror.
- Deadlands. A horror game set in the Old West. Uses playing cards in poker-style play is used for magical and steampunk effects.
- GURPS: Horror. Another flexible game which can be used to simulate all kinds of horror stories. Even if you don’t use GURPS, this is a great book for inspiration or as a resource.
- Kult. Angels and demons set in a world that’s slowly unraveling to reveal a much darker Reality.
- Ravenloft. An AD&D Gothic horror setting. Can you fight the Dark Powers or will you slowly succumb to your darker nature?
- Whispering Vault, The. Become a Stalker and hunt down threats to humanity.
- Wraith: the Oblivion. The classic version. Really, most of the World of Darkness games are a type of horror game. I chose Wraith because of it’s unique Shadow system. You play your character, but you also play another PC’s shadow side, attempting to corrupt that PC to his doom.
What’s your favorite horror RPG? Have you played any of the games mentioned? What did you like and/or not like about them?