Here’s a copy of the “generic” character questionnaire I use as the basis for my game-specific ones. Feel free to print out, alter, use, fold, spindle, or mutilate this list to fit your own game. Link to this page as freely as you like, but please don’t republish it (including posting it on another website) without my permission. Unless otherwise noted, please answer the questions in character.
The Basic Six:
- What do you look like?
- Everyone has a few manners or quirks unique to them. Describe three of yours.
- If you could accomplish one thing before you die, what would it be?
- Name five things about you that would drive a college roommate nuts.
- What do you, as a player, like best about your character?
- What do you, as a player, like least about your character?
- What was your childhood like?
- What is your most vivid childhood memory?
- Who was your best friend as a child? Are you still in contact with her?
- What were your teenage years like?
- Did you have a childhood enemy? Who was he? Is he still in your life now?
- What was your religious upbringing? Was it important to you?
- Did you have any kind of training or apprenticeship while growing up? What was it?
- Is your master or mentor still part of your life?
- Are you still undergoing training, or have you completed it?
- How old are you?
- What’s your occupation? Do you enjoy it? Why or why not?
- Where do you live? Why?
- How do you dress?
- How do you carry yourself?
- If you could save only one thing from a fire, what would it be?
- What gives your life meaning?
- Describe your ideal home.
- Do you practice a religion? Is it the same as your childhood religion? If not, why?
- Are you a devout believer or do you practice out of habit?
- Do you believe in an afterlife? If so, describe it. If not, what do you think will happen to you after you die?
- How would your best friend describe you? How about your worse enemy?
Who do you know?
- Are you a social person? Do you have many friends or just a few?
- How’s your love life? Do you have someone special to you?
- If you’re single, why? Is it by choice?
- What would be your ideal mate?
- Who do you most often hang around with?
- Do you have any contacts or allies? Describe them.
- How important is your family to you?
- Who do you consider to be your family?
- Are your parents still alive? Your grandparents?
- Do you have any children? How old are they? Where are they now?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters? How many? Where are they?
- How do you feel about [wizards, vampires, psions … whatever fits your game]?
- Name five of your goals. These can be anything from “find the best ham sandwich in town” to “conquer the neighboring galaxy and become it’s sole ruler”.
- What would be your perfect death?