You’ve spend weeks, months…maybe even years creating your world. You’ve detailed new races, have exciting new character classes, have worked out your worlds ecology, history, monetary system etc. Now it’s time to present it to the players. But wait! There’s something else you need before you can begin using your world. That’s right: you need a map!
Below is a list of map making tutorials freely available on the web:
- Campaign Cartographer Video Tutorials: A list of tutorials for using the map making program Campaign Cartographer.
- Campaign Creation: A three-part map drawing tutorial at the blog The Warlock’s Home Brew.
- Fantasy Cartography: From the blog Zombie Nirvana Games. Gives a video tutorial for creating maps in Photoshop.
- Guide to RPG Mapmaking, A: Information on creating many kinds of RPG maps from dungeons to countries.
- Make Your Own RPG Maps in Photoshop Fast!: This is actually a tutorial for creating dungeon maps for use with miniatures.
- Old Fantasy Map of Your Area: This is a Photoshop tutorial that uses Google Maps or Yahoo Maps as a basis for the game map.
- Medieval town map tutorial in Photoshop: Just what the title says. Creates beautiful maps.
- Mercater-style maps in Photoshop: From Stargazer’s World. Thanks Stargazer for pointing this one out to us!
- Photoshop Map-Making: This is a Flash site, so I can’t give you the exact address of the map-making page. Click “Tutorials” — that’ll take you to a five-part tutorial on creating some really spiffy looking maps for your world. I’m currently in the process of using this tutorial to create the maps for Guang Keshar. While you’re there, take a look at his portfolio too!
- Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: A wealth of step-by-step tutorials are listed in this forum post, which also includes basic map making information.
- Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional Map: This tutorial makes use of the free image creation program GIMP. It can be adapted to Photoshop or other favorite image program.
Related articles by Zemanta
- 5 Free Awesome Graphic Design Tutorial Sites You Should Check Out (makeuseof.com)
- 10 Great Photoshop Tutorial Websites (techie-buzz.com)
- Free Alternatives to Photoshop With All the Bells, Whistles, Filters, & Layers (readwriteweb.com)
- The Kobold Guide to Games Design – Volume I: Adventures (A Review) from abstract xp (abstractxp.wordpress.com)